Shared Stories

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Radio Maryja

Radio Maryja seems to figure frequently into some of the commentary and news I see in my cursory examination of the the other English-language Polish blogs. I've only looked at this Wikipedia entry on Radio Maryja and nothing else. I am trying to juggle a million things, so the in-depth research is constantly being forestalled, but I wanted an idea of what this station was all about... as will all posts, this is just to advance my own thinking on different subjects in Poland. Hopefully, one of these tangents will lead to a viable research proposal.

On to business.

I am a moderately devout Catholic and was impressed by Church attendance when I was in Poland as well as modesty yet tastefulness of the (GORGEOUS) women there. I heard some criticism about the Church in some circles and even among some of the people I count as my best friends in Poland. It's my belief, that generally, as people become more well-off, devotion drops (look at Scandinavia).

Furthermore, the more the Church is seen involved in politics, or at least suspected to be involved in politics, the more it appears that the Church is only seeking power... and not playing their "proper role" as a shepherd, but more concerned with temporal power and prestige -- which certainly appalls me.

Anyway, I was wondering if Radio Maryja (streamed here) was actually guilty of the many charges leveled against it. Or was it just a secular European press attacking a political critic and social agitator?

From the looks of the information in the Wikipedia entry, the criticism seems to be legitimate. For example, they opposed Poland's EU accession.

There could be reasons for being against accession to the European Union... but instead to put your trust in Russia? That's just insane. It also looks like the Vatican and some Polish bishops have expressed concern. The entry claims their listenership is pretty low, yet they were promoting the victorious PiS (Law & Justice) party in the most recent elections. How much of the victory of the PiS can be attributed to Radio Maryja - and how much can be attributed to a genuine appeal of PiS.

It seems that PiS acts loyal to Radio Maryja. I see no need for PiS to be loyal to a media network that was not instrumental to their winning the election or to their continued support. I wonder why and how the loyalty continues, or existed in the first place.

I'll probably write more on this later the more I allow myself to digest what I read, and to read more. Comments are welcome.

1 comment:

Nahbdy said...

He actually said those words relating to the Polish President and the First Lady.

You see, this is pretty difficult for me to explain this issue on an American forum, as I’d have to join in some way those, who spread the worst and mosty stupid stereotypes about the Poles. Which is something I don’t want to do.

He’s a very, I mean very controversial person - a cleric, monk who’s far, far away from being modest, humble person.
It’s rather the opposite.

If one doesn’t agree with any, any part of his views (which are really extremist)- Fr Rydzyk and his supporters will call him a traitor of the nation, and the Catholic faith.

And believe me - it’s really not, that Fr Rydzyk is the incarnation of the real Polish spirit (as he probably considers himself).

He’s been criticised not only by the Left, but also by many conservative politicians and journalist and also by many prominent bishops and priests.

I think this is a good summary of this situation (a comment by a conservative journalist Tomasz Terlikowski:
“Both Polish politicians and clergy are in a difficult situation, as these alleged statements of Fr. Rydzyk cannot be tolerated, coming from a religious person. But we also have to remember that, despite of Fr. Rydzyk’s various controversial political statements, which had been criticized by the Papal Nuncio and even Benedict XVI himself, his media have positive sides. They are very successful and they bring together a huge community of people, who find love, faith, formation and inclusion there. Very often these people are rejected by mainstream Poland and liberal politicians and sadly also by some clergy. But of course, these statements are too strong to go unnoticed. Both the political side and direct superiors of Fr. Rydzyk should take some action.”

- Source: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1864970/posts